Accueil     NEWS     Livre d'or     Contact     Liens     Photos     Rechercher     DATES  
SwingJO Index du Forum SwingJO
Jo Privat, l'accordéon swing et la valse musette

FAQFAQ   RechercherRechercher   Liste des MembresListe des Membres     S'enregistrerS'enregistrer 
 ProfilProfil   Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés   ConnexionConnexion 
Swingjo faire un don 

Chord extension b9#11 and 9#11

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    SwingJO Index du Forum -> Théorie et technique de l'instrument
Voir le sujet précédent :: Voir le sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
bestillmybeating
Membre actif

MessagePosté le: Jeu Juin 16, 2016 7:01 am    Sujet du message: Chord extension b9#11 and 9#11 Répondre en citant

Dear all,
I found two chords which I do not know how to combone with my left hand:
Chord extension b9#11 and 9#11
Can anybody help?
Thank you so much
Chris
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Envoyer l'e-mail
FredBaldo76
Membre actif

MessagePosté le: Sam Juin 18, 2016 10:49 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Hi,

You can do the furst chord but it's really hard to do.
For example, if you want to do a C7b9#11, you have to combine 2 chords:
CM and F#M (or Gb M).
With CM you'll have C-E-G and with F#M you'll have F# (#11)-A#(7)-C# (b9) then you'll have C7 with b9 (C#) and #11 (F#).
More easier, you can do C7 +Eb7 then you'll have a C7b9 without #11 that you can complete with your right hand.

For the second example it's for me, impossible to do because you have to combine 3 chords and personnaly, my fingers are too little for it !! Wink
And you have to know that you'll have 3 extensions of the basic chord: 9- #11 and b9.

For example C79#11 , you have to combine C7-Gm and F#M !!!
The better thing is too forget the third chord (F#M) then you'll have the possibility to make a C9 and this is very easy. You can complete with the right and if you want.

The most important when you see this chords is not the possibilty to play all the extensions of it but it' to know the mode you'll use if you improvise.

For example when you see a 7/9#11 chords, you know that you are using the minor melodic.

example : Am melodic :
A B C D E F# G# A
Then if you transpose in the fifth degree , D7 , you'll have :

D E F#G# A B C D ------ if you see the chord you can make with it, you'll have :

D F# A C (D7) + E (9) + G# (#11) Very Happy

With this explanation, you can understand why we can use the tritonic substitution ( Playing G#7 on D7 )

So doing the complete chords is less important than knowing witch notes you can play in your melodic progression.

Sorry for my bad english, i hope you'll understand at least half of my explanation.

Bye Wink

Fred
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Envoyer l'e-mail Visiter le site web du posteur
bestillmybeating
Membre actif

MessagePosté le: Dim Juin 19, 2016 8:53 am    Sujet du message: Chord extension b9#11 and 9#11 Répondre en citant

Dear Fred,
thank you so much for your reply, and for taking your time!
I understand now a bit better. I actually saw the accords in this partition de Sebasien Farge.
here is the link:
http://www.sebastienfarge.com/flash/musiques/SwingMusette/DELITMUS1.pdf
here is the Eb9(#11)
do you think this is meant for other instruments or for the accordion? how should I compose the accord in the musical context?

Thank you very much

Christian
bestillmybeating
Membre actif

MessagePosté le: Dim Juin 19, 2016 8:59 am    Sujet du message: Chord extension b9#11 and 9#11 Répondre en citant

Dear Fred,
here are some more examples:
http://www.sebastienfarge.com/flash/musiques/edition.html

for example in the partition:
Sortilege: Eb9(#11)
Walz for you: F9(#11) and Eb9(#11)
Coer de velours F9(#11)

I wrote an email to Sebasien Fage but unfortunately he did not respond:-)
Thank you very much

Christian
FredBaldo76
Membre actif

MessagePosté le: Mar Juin 21, 2016 9:03 am    Sujet du message: Re: Chord extension b9#11 and 9#11 Répondre en citant

bestillmybeating a écrit:
Dear Fred,
thank you so much for your reply, and for taking your time!
I understand now a bit better. I actually saw the accords in this partition de Sebasien Farge.
here is the link:
http://www.sebastienfarge.com/flash/musiques/SwingMusette/DELITMUS1.pdf
here is the Eb9(#11)
do you think this is meant for other instruments or for the accordion? how should I compose the accord in the musical context?

Thank you very much

Christian

Hi Christian,

In this example, you can see that in the melodic line, you play an A, that's why the chord mentionned is Eb9 (#11).
"A" is the #11, that's why you don't have to play the complete chord with your left and.
The "color" of this harmony is completed by the melodic line.

In fact, Sebastien could have notice Eb9 without (#11), with the same result because of the melody.

Try to play a Eb9 ( Eb7+ Bbm) and then, play on the right hand "A", you'll have your #11 colour !!
So if you play Eb9 during the melodic line (A G#A C Bb), you'll have the colour !
It's very simple Wink

He could notice Eb6/9 (#11) if he wanted, because of the "C" witch is the 6th of the chord.

So, don't be bloqued by the writing of a chord.
Often, you can play the basic chord and the melody completes it.

Hope i've been clear enough

Fred Very Happy
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Envoyer l'e-mail Visiter le site web du posteur
bestillmybeating
Membre actif

MessagePosté le: Mar Juin 21, 2016 9:08 am    Sujet du message: Chord extension b9#11 and 9#11 Répondre en citant

Dear Fred,
thank you very much for the excellent explanation,
you are so smart,
how can I ever learn this?
Do I have to know all the chords by heart and then look in both hands how I can put it together?
Thanks so much

Christian
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    SwingJO Index du Forum -> Théorie et technique de l'instrument Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 1 Heure
Page 1 sur 1

Sauter vers: